Thursday 26 May 2016

HAVE/GET SOMETHING DONE - CAUSATIVE SENTENCES

Causative sentences show that somebody/something is indirectly responsible for an action. The subject doesn't perform the action itself, but causes someone/something else to do it instead. For example:
- Yesterday I had my hair cut.
I didn't cut my own hair, but I made someone else do it for me instead - I "caused" them to cut my hair.
By using the causative sentence takes attention away from the doer of the action, and gives more attention to the action being done. It sounds polite and professional. Get is often used instead of have. For example:
- I got my computer fixed - I had my computer fixed. (These two sentences mean the same thing).ç
Causative verbs are often used with negative experiences. In these situations it's more common to use have. For example:
- I had my wallet stolen. (I didn't actually cause my wallet to be stolen - someone stole my wallet from me)

To practice this structure follow these links.
UsingEnglish
Englishpage

No comments:

Post a Comment